4-H SPIN Clubs What R Those?!
You will be seeing more posts for Virtual SPIN Clubs. You might ask what are SPIN Clubs? They are SPecial INterest clubs that will meet for a specific time period regarding a specific topic. Great opportunities to interact with others and learn about a different topic. These Virtual SPIN Clubs are open to EVERYONE that is regular 4-H Age, meaning 8 and in 3rd Grade through 18 of the current year. You do not have to be an enrolled 4-H member to do these SPIN Clubs. So, if you have friends who are not in 4-H that you think would like to do these, please be sure to pass the information to them.
- Virtual 4-H 4-H Computer Science SPIN Club - Open to ANY youth in grades 3-6. Come join us every Tuesday and Thursday May 19-June 4 from 2:00-3:00 p.m. and learn about the basics of coding, computer technology, and software. If you enjoy exploring computers or apps then you'll love learning in this totally virtual environment with people your own age. Learn about hacking, coding, computational thinking, and more! Click this link to join https://qo.osu.edu/computerspin
- Virtual 4-H SPIN Club for the Your Thoughts Matter: Navigating Mental Health project. The SPIN club will be open to youth ages 13+ and will be held via Zoom on Tuesday's from May 5 - June 9. Teens are encouraged to register at http://go.osu.edu/thoughtsSPIN. Click here for an informational flyer.
- Virtual 4-H SPIN Club - Upcycle It! Discover How to Turn Your Trash Into Treasure. Join us for LIVE how-to sessions! Learn how to make projects from recycled items - wind spirals and chimes, bird feeders, jump ropes, backyard camping gear, games and much more!!! All materials can be found around your home. Every Tuesday and Thursday - May 5-29 at 3:30 p.m. Free and open to everyone! Pre-registration required. Email Robin Stone at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Virtual 4-H SPIN Club - Small Garden - Have fun in this virtual 4-H Special Interest SPIN Club learning how to make small gardens from easy to find items. Activities include seed starting, seed bombs, repurposing containers for the garden, herb and pizza gardens, terrariums, succulents, garden art, imagination gardens, and more! Every Thursday, May 28-July 9 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Open to any youth grades 3-12. Limited to the first 25 to enroll. Register online at: go.osu.edu/gardenspinclub
- Virtual 4-H SPIN Club - Outdoor Explorer - You do not have to currently be involved in 4-H to join! Wednesday's in June and July from 11:00 a.m. - 12 Noon - Open to all youth 5-18 with limited outdoor skills. Space is limited, deadline to register May 29th! Click here for registration information and schedule of topics.
Topics include: Taking a Hike; Birds and Animal Tracks; Let's Go Camping; Pond Exploration and Fishing; Bees & Pollinators; Watersports; All About Trees; Weather and Sky
- Virtual 4-H SPIN Club - Investigating Electricity - Join Hamilton County 4-H Volunteer Dean Rettig for the “Investigating Electricity” Virtual Special Interest (SPIN) Club! Tuesday's and Thursday's June 2-18 from 6:30-8:00 p.m. Click here to register: https://osu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_beLF8Kl32cA7AEt
Session 1 - Introduction; Going back and forth (galvanometer - AC vs DC)
Session 2 - The Electric Detective’s Most Important Tool (Intro to Multi-Meter / volt-ohm meter); To Flow or Not To Flow (conductors vs insulators)
Session 3 - Ohm's Law (water bottle / garden hose demo); Decoding Circuit diagrams (Into to Circuit diagrams)
Session 4 - Case of the Series Circuit - measuring voltages across items in series circuit; Case of the Parallel Circuit
Session 5 - Circuit Sense - more complicated circuits diagrams; Short Circuits
Session 6 - Making a 3-way switch
Equipment List: Amazon Wish List: Volt/Ohm meter aka Multi-meter; AA or D batteries; battery holder; paper clips; 22 or 24 gauge wire; compass; cardboard; flashlight bulb; bulb holder